Are Crayons Toxic To Dogs? [Full Answer + Big Risks]

If you have a young family then you’ve probably got lots of art supplies in your home, from crafts, to paint brushes to crayons. This means that it’s likely that crayons will be left lying around your home. And if you have a dog, it’s highly likely you’ve found her munching on a crayon at some point and frantically wondered, are crayons toxic to dogs?

The short answer is that crayons are not toxic to dogs and are unlikely to cause serious harm to your dog if she eats them. However, there are some big risks to your dog posed by crayons and you should strive to keep them away from your dog.

Are Crayons Toxic To Dogs? – Will My Dog Get Sick From Eating Crayons?

Crayons are not toxic to dogs, so don’t panic if your dog occasionally eats one or two crayons. Because crayons are aimed at children, the US government has made laws that force crayon manufacturers to produce crayons from safe and edible materials. These laws are necessary because children like to put things in their mouth, hence crayons need to be safe and free from toxins and other harmful ingredients.

Most commercially made crayons are produced from paraffin wax and color pigment. These ingredients are non-toxic and won’t make your dog sick if they eat crayons.

In other words, because crayons are safe for children to ingest, they are also safe for dogs to ingest. While your pet pooch certainly should not be routinely eating crayons, they are not toxic to dogs and will not threaten your dog’s health.

What Harm Can Come To My Dog From Eating Crayons?

Are Wax Crayons Toxic To Dogs

It’s important to understand that while no harm may come to your dog if they occasionally eat a few crayons, there are still risks posed to your dog by crayons. Adverse health effects of your dog eating crayons include vomiting, stomach pain, choking and more. These adverse health effects are written about in more detail below:

Crayons Can Be A Choking Hazard For Dogs

Crayons can present a choking hazard for your dog. This is especially true if the crayons have hardened or if your dog swallows a large crayon. It can also pose a choking hazard if your dog eats several crayons in one go. 

Although the materials used in crayons are non toxic, the crayons themselves can cause your dog’s intestines to become clogged and blocked. This can lead to a lot of pain and discomfort for your dog. If you suspect your dog has clogged intestines as a result of eating crayons, take them to see a vet immediately. 

Crayons Can Cause Stomach Pain And Diarrhea In Dogs

If your dog consumes a high number of crayons, it can cause your dog stomach pain and may result in them vomiting and causing diarrhea. Your dog may also start drooling excessively and lose their appetite.

Crayons Create A Toxic Burden For Dogs

Toxic burden, or Toxic overload, is the theory that even while a substance may not immediately harm us, the cumulative effect of all the toxins we come into contact with each day may have a severe effect on our health.

In the case of your dog, eating a crayon occasionally may not cause immediate harm by itself. However, if your dog consistently eats crayons, when that is added to all the other toxins your dog ingests, that could result in some serious negative health implications for your dog.

With the above in mind, it’s important that you do everything you can to keep crayons away from your dog.

Are Wax Crayons Toxic To Dogs?

Wax crayons made for the US market are not toxic to dogs. This is because the US government passed laws that made it illegal to produce crayons from toxic materials. As a result, wax crayons found in the US are made from safe materials that won’t harm a small child if they ingest them.

Because the ingredients in wax crayons are safe for babies and small children, they are also safe for dogs.

With that said, it’s still important that you keep crayons away from your dog, as eating them in high amounts could have adverse health effects for your dog.

Are Crayola Crayons Toxic To Dogs?

Are Crayola Crayons Toxic To Dogs

Crayola crayons are not toxic dogs and there’s no need to worry if your dog happens to eat one. Crayola crayons are made from paraffin wax and color pigment, and these are safe materials for dogs.

Crayola crayons do contain other ingredients, however those are proprietary. With that said, the law in the US stipulates that all crayons available for sale in the US must be made from safe materials that won’t harm a child if eaten. As a result of the materials in Crayola crayons being safe for children if ingested, they are also safe for dogs if ingested.

Why Do Dogs Love To Eat Crayons?

Crayons don’t have a particularly strong scent or smell, and where dogs are concerned, they certainly don’t smell like food. So why do dogs seem to love eating crayons?

Well, dogs love to find out about the world around them, not only with their noses but with their mouths too! Different puppies and dogs have different levels of curiosity; it all comes down to the dog’s age and attitude. In many cases, these inquisitive dogs may attempt to pick up and chew crayons, and they may accidentally ingest a bit.

When a puppy is teething, it is more probable that she would chew on or consume something that is not edible in order to alleviate her pain. It’s important to keep crayons and other potentially dangerous items out of the reach of your teething dog.

Recommended For You – Most types of beans are healthy for humans, but can your dog eat them too? Find out by reading can dogs eat black beans?

My Dog Ate A Crayon What Should I Do?

You may become worried and distressed if your dog has eaten a crayon, but don’t panic. Usually, dogs don’t suffer any adverse health effects from eating crayons. However, there are important actions you should take if you discover your pooch has eaten crayons.

  • Check the labeling on the crayon box to confirm the crayons are non toxic. All crayons available for sale in the US have to be non-toxic by law, but it’s sensible to confirm this by reading the box.
  • Check the area around your dog and try to establish how many crayons your dog has eaten. Although you don’t need a precise number, it’s sensible to find out if your dog ate two crayons, or a whole pack of 64.
  • Remove any remaining crayons from the reach of your dog and make this a permanent action. In other words, ensure that crayons are never within the reach of your dog.

Monitor your dog closely for the next 7 days. You want to check for the following:

  • Is your dog is behaving in a normal and expected manner?
  • Is your dog is eating normally and has their same usual appetite?
  • Is your dog having normal bowel movements and pooping as expected?

If the answers to the above questions are yes, then it’s likely your dog is absolutely fine and the crayons have passed through their digestive tract without issues.

However, if the answers to any questions are no, then you should seek the advice of a veterinarian as soon as possible.

Recommended – find out what peanut butter is safe for your dog and which ones are toxic by reading, can dogs eat peanut butter?

Will My Dog Get Diarrhea After Eating Crayons?

Are crayons toxic to dogs? No, they’re not. Therefore, in most cases dogs do not get diarrhea after eating crayons. This is because crayons are made from ingredients considered safe or non-toxic. 

However, if your dog eats a lot or crayons in one go, or regularly eats crayons then there’s a good chance it could give your dog stomach pain and cause diarrhea.

If your dog experiences diarrhea after eating crayons then you should take your dog to see a veterinarian right away.

Final Thoughts On Are Crayons Toxic To Dogs

After reading this guide you should know the answer to the question, are crayons toxic to dogs? The short answer is that crayons are not toxic to dogs and typically your dog will not be harmed by eating crayons.

However, it’s important to note that just because the answer to ‘are crayons toxic to dogs’ is no, it doesn’t mean you should let your dog eat crayons. If your dog eats too many crayons over a long period time then it can result in negative effects on your dog’s health and well-being.